Sanctuary of Sant Honorat
Churches from Algaida district
Tel: +34 971 660 998
Open all year (except during Catholic Mass)
The sanctuary was founded in 1394 by the hermit and presbyter Arnau Desbrull. In 1763, it passed into the hands of the hermits of Saint Paul and Saint Anthony. In 1890, father Joaquim Rosselló retired there and a few months later founded the congregation of the Missioners dels Sagrats Cors (Missionaries of the Sacred Hearts). Since 1915, this congregation’s novitiate has been located at the sanctuary.
There is a large, paved esplanade at the entrance. To the east is the facade of the sanctuary, dating from 1888, with two round arch doorways with voussoirs, a small water drain moulded as an archivolt and a cross above. The left doorway leads to the church and the one on the right leads to the gatehouse of the sanctuary, with an image of Ramon Llull on the tympanum. There are also four round arch windows and a series of round blind arches at the top. Between the doorways is a ceramic plaque, dating from 1976, depicting Saint Honoratus.
The church was completed in 1661. The main facade has a moulded lintelled doorway, crowned with a niche with the image of Saint Honoratus, two coats of arms either side (one belonging to the Tagamanent family, the other to the Amar family) and a Gothic inscription recovered from the original church, dated from 1397. The church has a rectangular layout with three sections, a barrel-vaulted ceiling with lunettes, three side chapels and a gallery with a groin vault in the entrance area, as well as a square-plan presbytery. To the left is the confessional and images of Our Lady of the Rosary and of the Christ of the Hermits, from the 14th century. To the right is Our Lady of Lourdes, the chapel of Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque and that of the Sacred Hearts. The main altarpiece, dating from 1928, has disappeared and has been replaced by a stone wall with three niches housing the images of Saint Honoratus, Ramón Llull and the blessed Francesc Palau. To the left of the presbytery is a small chapel with a diminished arch that has an image of Our Lady of Lluc.
Inside the complex are the rooms for the congregation and the oratory of the blessed Francesc Palau, a small independent chapel with an image of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and of Mare de Déu de la Panada, built during the second half of the 20th century. Above, there is a lookout point offering breathtaking views.