Former Parish Church of “Mare de Déu de la Pau” of Castellitx
Churches from Algaida district
Open all year (except during Catholic Mass)
The old parish church of Mare de Déu de la Pau in Castellitx was converted into a chapel located on the old farmstead of Castellitx, between Algaida and Puig de Randa. Built in the 13th century it is, together with the church of Sant Pere d’Escorca and the chapel of San Miguel de Campanet, one of the first examples of Majorcan religious architecture following the Reconquest. It is in the primitive Gothic style.
The church has a rectangular nave divided into two sections by a diaphragm arch with wooden crossbeams supported by a long central beam. A third section houses the presbytery, which dates from the 18th century, with a barrel vault. The ancient Gothic altarpiece, dedicated to Saint Peter and Saint Paul, from the 14th to 15th century, is currently kept in Algaida parish church. Today the presbytery is dominated by the image of Mare de Déu de la Pau. It is a Gothic polychrome wood sculpture from 1430 which, according to legend, was found close to the chapel.
On the first Sunday after Easter, the entire village of Algaida goes on a pilgrimage to Castellitx.